Sunday, November 12, 2017

Vally Put the Cauldron On

For those of you who wanted to see what kind of cauldron cast iron pot Hick had a chance to buy in a lot of farmhouse auction stuff for $800...


Here's Hick's own personal pot. He hasn't tended his rock garden in a while. I think he used to have a ceramic bunny sitting inside that cauldron many years ago. The neighbor's dog at that time, Penny, a yellow lab, had a habit of helping herself to Hick's outdoor gewgaws. She'd take them home and put them on her own porch, then her human mom would bring them back on the 4-wheeler and leave them on the corner of our porch. It was an almost daily occurrence. Looks like Penny won. I'm pretty sure Penny has gone to live on a special farm in the country by now.


There's the view from the other side. My grandma (Dad's side) had a huge rock collection. She made her own jewelry, too. Not from rocks this big! She gave Hick a lot of rocks that were just sitting on homemade racks along the back of her house. He's got a good piece of petrified wood, too, but I think it's across the brick sidewalk. That stump is real wood. I think it used to have a ceramic turtle perched on it. Alas, this is what happens when Hick doesn't tend his rock garden.

Anyhoo...Hick ran into the Farmhouse Collection seller the other day, and he said, "I got rid of my farmhouse cast iron stuff. Sold it to a guy for $550!"

Hick was just a little bit put-out by that statement. "Huh. I would have given you that! I wish I'd known."

"I offered it to you, but you didn't want to spend that much."

"No. You offered it to me for $800. I didn't have that kind of money. But I had $550!"

"Oh. I thought I told you $550. I have to make a little money off of it, you know."

"Yeah. Next time let me know if you're gonna lower your price!"

Hick was feeling betrayed, but he wasn't gonna burn any bridges. You never know when the next batch of cast iron cauldrons will come along.

11 comments:

  1. When the outhouse line gets too long during the mansion tours, that cauldron might come in handy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or Hick can just build a new outhouse on the spot.

      Delete
  2. If I see any cauldrons for sale I'll send you word and you can tell Hick about it, but I bet you wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. The shipping costs from there to here would be outrageous!

      Delete
  3. I had a rock garden, but they died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure your first tomato plant has already spread the word about your gardening skills...

      Delete
    2. Actually, I harvested just about enough tomatoes to keep me in tuna or chicken salad for at least 6 weeks.

      Delete
  4. Laughing at joeh's comment here. I love the cauldron, just the sort of thing I'd like to have.
    Hick's rock garden needs a few tiny succulents in shades of greens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would brighten it up, but I think Hick's purpose of having the rock garden is so that he doesn't have to tend it. The dogs are always picking up pieces of that lava rock, and I kick it back into its bed when I step on it on the brick sidewalk.

      Hick's cauldron has suffered from exposure, and it looks like it's missing a handle that could hang it over a fire.

      Delete
  5. I would have that cauldron full of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it would be beautiful! Even Hick's rock garden is better than anything I could turn out.

      Delete