Wednesday, November 1, 2017

This Man Is An Island

Now that Hick is fully retired, he goes about his missions each day, and I go about mine. He's an early riser, but that's probably because he goes to bed at 9:00 p.m. instead of 3:00 a.m. He's up and out of the house doing his own thing when I get up around 9:00 a.m.

I never know what Hick is up to. Sometimes he sends me a text. Sometimes he calls. Sometimes I don't see him until supper time. Monday he was puttering around, taking more merchandise to his storage store, and putting up shelves. I met him on the gravel road, and as is customary for folks around these parts, stopped to chat, blocking the road both ways.

We had supper and chatted some more. I took a seat on the short couch and competed with a knife-making show for his attention. Just before I returned to my dark basement lair, Hick announced, "I locked my keys in my truck."

"When? How did you get them out?"

"This morning. I was getting gas at Casey's. I went in to pay and get a soda (notice how he left out getting some illicit donuts, which I'm SURE he did, because he even does that in front of me when we go on a trip to visit The Pony), and when I came back out, the door wouldn't open. Then I saw my keys in the ignition. I asked the lady working there if she knew the number for [local towing company], and she looked it up on her phone. (Because obviously, Hick's phone that is always in a holster on his belt will not allow him to look up the number for himself, and a lady who works at Casey's must surely have the number for a local towing company memorized.) I called them, and they said I needed to call AAA directly, so I got out my card and called them. I had to punch in every number of our account. They asked if I was hurt. If I had a place to go. And if I was blocking gas pumps. I told them I was blocking the pumps. They said they'd send someone. It took them about an hour. I just went back in Casey's. I thought about calling you, but I figured that wouldn't go over well."

"What time was this?"

"Around 9:00 this morning."

I call shenanigans! That's a bunch of baloney! The only reason Hick didn't call me was because he didn't want to admit that he locked his keys in his truck! I would not have yelled at him any more than I do in a normal day. Things happen. He just didn't want me to have that ammunition to throw back at him in future...discussions. It takes 15 minutes for me to get to town. It's only 5 miles. Even if he got me right out of bed, I could have been there in 20 minutes. I guess he confessed last minute in order to make me feel guilty. I do not. HE'S the one who didn't call, and waited an hour on AAA instead. That's on HIM!

Don't pull a bonehead move and solve it by using bonehead tactics, and then think you're going to make me out to be the reason for your bonehead decision!

Anyhoo...now I have prime ammunition to use in future...discussions.

7 comments:

  1. If you left your key in the ignition in these here parts, even with the door locked, the car would probably not be there when you come out of the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your state would make the bars sell regular alcohol instead of drinks made with dirty water, those ne'er-do-wells wouldn't have so much energy for those shenanigans!

      Delete
  2. I don't understand. You're upset because he didn't call and wake you, asking you to bring another set of keys? I think I'd be grateful, but maybe I'm missing something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's common decency! To call your wife for the extra key when you lock yours in your truck!

      It's kind of like an emergency, that I could easily solve. I'm not much help with most things, but THAT one I could do.

      Delete
  3. This makes me wish my hubby had called our RAA the time he locked his keys in the car, instead of calling me, which meant finding his spare keys, getting a bus to town, getting another bus to where he was, then having to get the buses home again because once he had the car unlocked he was headed in a different direction, he said, and couldn't drive me home. This took the better part of a day.I didn't even ask where he was going, since by that point we were barely speaking to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now THAT was taking advantage of you! He could have at least driven you home. Because you kind of went out of your way to help him.

      Delete
  4. HeWho works those lock-out calls would not have called me, either. And he would have "mentioned" it casually .... as if to say he wouldn't think of "bothering" me. I know exactly what you mean!

    ReplyDelete