Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Val Is Making Cents Again

For my untiring, unpaid work promoting the concept of pennies from heaven...I have been rewarded tenfold today!


It's a DIME, by cracky! No closeup. I was getting the stinkeye from the Lady Owner, and snapped two pictures only, to make sure I actually got the dime in the shot. Without my glasses, I can't tell on that itty bitty cell phone screen if I've centered the dime.

Yes. I promise you, I was on the soda fountain aisle of the gas station chicken store, and not hanging around in a liquor store at 11:00 a.m., asking people for spare whiskey change. I put that dime in my Penny Goblet as soon as I got home. It was a shiny 2014. Nothing meaningful in that date for me.
______________________________________________________________

And now, for you antidecapennyites who would wish Val centsless so she can get on with her usual scintillating blog posts...

I was having an awkward day, and this dime find at my last stop hit the spot. I started out with the intent of getting my hair cut, gassing T-Hoe, taking money from the credit union to the bank, picking up some scratchers, and getting my 44 oz. Diet Coke.

When I left home, I opened my Terrible Cuts app to check in, but saw the wait was 45 minutes, so I changed my order of errands.

I'd been headed by Casey's for gas, but the truck was there, with the door blocked by its rolling conveyor, so I went on by.

I went in Waterside Mart for two $10 scratcher tickets, and the clerk said, "That'll be thirty dollars." I got her straightened out with a quickness.

On to the credit union for my college boys' monthly allowances, and a little car whipped into the 3-space lot right ahead of me. Even though he parked in the handicap spot, that bandy-legged little man was faster than I. So I had to wait in line.

At the bank, only one of the three drive-thru lanes was open, and it was one I never go to, and I had to learn how to open a money canister from the side, rather than twisting off the top.

I checked in with my Terrible Cuts app, since the wait was down to 16 minutes, rather than the 45 minutes when I had left home. Then it showed 10 minutes. But the drive over there took me 20.

At Terrible Cuts, I got the talky gal, who mostly combs my hair a lot, and makes a few snips. That's okay. I'll trim it myself tomorrow in the mirror.

Thankfully, the soda fountain at the gas station chicken store was flowing with Diet Coke. I put my lid on, and stepped up in line.

THERE WAS A DIME ON THE FLOOR!

While I was taking a picture of my found dime while waiting in line, a lady came in the gas station chicken store and stood at the side of the counter that's not really a line. I told Lady Owner to go ahead and help her first. Figuring that was a good deed.

When that gas lady left, Lady Owner commented, "I don't even know her name, but I remember her because she's in here all the time. She has such pretty hair!"

"Yes. She had nice hair." I really didn't find it at all remarkable. It was okay. Kind of a gray pageboy. Not mussed up or anything. Average at best.

"Yes, I don't know if it's the cut, or if I just really like the color."

"It was nice." Seriously? Here I was, fresh from Terrible Cuts, having just paid $13 for a haircut (wait...maybe I'm realizing the problem), and having just freshened my color with a box of L'Oreal Medium Brown only yesterday, and now Lady Owner was falling all over herself about that Gas Lady's hair!

Oh, well. I don't think Gas Lady is 10 steps closer to being a pennyillionaire today. But I am!

18 comments:

  1. Do dimes come from Heaven? I guess with inflation since that raining song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where dimes come from, but there must be some reason that circumstances put me where they are, to find them.

      I usually don't find many dimes. I found over a dozen on the floor in various rooms in my own house the first couple of months after my dad died. I never find them at home any more.

      I guess it's like the clock reading 11:11. Some people think it's significant, some don't. Google led me to this:

      http://www.ask-angels.com/spiritual-guidance/finding-dimes-pennies-from-heaven/

      Probably unrelated, but last night, I had a dream that a person I know (alive and not related) gave me a handful of dimes.

      Delete
    2. Interesting, but now that they have your attention with coins, maybe they could work out a few lottery tickets for you.

      Delete
    3. I actually do pretty well on lottery tickets!

      I don't think it works for monetary gain. Just like when I LOOK for pennies, I don't seem to find them.

      Delete
  2. Haircut? thanks for reminding me. Now, will I go this week or next week? Or should I wait until spring finally, properly warms up so my neck doesn't freeze?
    Decisions, decisions..
    I like this idea of finding dimes instead of pennies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you should wait until spring! Unless your haircutter is like mine. I think she basically combed it, and talked a lot. Doesn't look much shorter.

      Delete
    2. I woke up this morning looking like the world's largest dandelion, so the appointment is for Saturday.

      Delete
    3. Heh, heh! Now I have that dandelion image in my head.

      Delete
  3. Val--Perhaps Lady Owner is a shy complimenter. Maybe she can't compliment people to their face. Perhaps she commented on YOUR lovely cut and color-job to a customer... once you left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's an antigingerite! She also said, "I never did like red hair!" Maybe hers was red when she was young. I'll have to ask Hick, who went to school with her.

      I don't know why she mentioned it. I don't have red hair! But my mom did, and my sister the ex-mayor's wife.

      Who knows WHAT she said about me after I left...she'd better be careful, or I'll dump another 44 oz Diet Coke on her counter!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you're stepping up to dimes. It's like finding ten pennies at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's like...nine less bend-overs for your back!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for stopping by TNS and commenting.
    I think Sioux Roslawski may be on to something. Have a friend trail you to find out what she says about you when you leave. Curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'll try to stop in more often. Can't pass up a recommendation from Joe H!

      I might not want to hear what is said after I leave! Especially after I poked my thumb through a 44 oz Diet Coke on her counter a couple weeks ago.

      Delete
  6. This is like finding ten pennies from heaven at a time, you were wondering where the dimes came from and mentioned finding them around your house after your Dad's passing. How about this for an idea, pennies from heaven and dimes from Dad?...anything's possible, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dimes always make me think of my dad. I'd stopped by the cemetery on the way to run my errands, and while I usually just talk out loud to my mom, I also talked to him that day.

      Coincidence, I'm sure...

      Delete
  7. Maybe I should start saving all the coins I find in the laundry room and bathrooms separately so I can determine how long it would take to get rich ..... nevermind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your special access to lost coins, you will make pennyillionaire before me!

      Delete