Saturday, September 9, 2017

Dime and Dash

It took me four days of pennilessness to find a cent, but the way I see it, I'm actually ahead by six days! That's because today I found a DIME! That's right! My first coin since I found another dime on September 5. So you could say that this dime comes right on the heels of that other dime. OR...you could say that this dime comes right on the heels of that lady ahead of me in line at Orb K.


One of these days, I'm probably going to get decked for snapping pictures like a weirdo. People might think I'm taking upskirt photos, or that I have a flip-flop fetish, or that I'm cataloging tattoos for law enforcement files.

Anyhoo...Orb K was my first stop. I parked way around at the end, by a telephone company van backed in with an orange cone set up on the sidewalk. Not right next to it, of course. Two spaces away. Where I found a dime laying on the parking lot before. You can bet I was on the lookout for coinage. Thought I might encounter a penny on my long walk in. Orb K is quite fruitful for my coin crop. I've found several on that crooked sewer grate lid, and one on the back sidewalk by where I parked, and one laying in front of the door, and a couple inside on the penny-colored tile. Now I can add this dime to my harvest! A 1976 edition. The year of my valedictorianship!

You can bet your bottom dollar that I was standing there in line, itching to pick it up, but wanting a photo first. Two people were ahead of me. The tattooed flip-flop lady, and a male companion. A line was forming behind me. I was afraid someone would dart up there and grab that dime before me. I'm pretty sure there are surveillance cameras, so tripping was not an option.

THEN another clerk opened the register on the right, and said, "I can help someone over here." Well. No way was I moving away from my rightful dime, even though it was my rightful turn to be waited on next. In a normal world, the minute that clerk opened her mouth, there would have been a stampede of people from behind me in line, breaking their necks to get over there first. Nobody moved. The clerk looked at me.

"No, I'm good. I'll wait here."

So three other folks bellied up to the counter. I should have. They were all done before I got my turn. In fact, New Clerk had to help my clerk, because something was messed up with the chip reader. During the confusion, though, of the delayed stampede and the chip malfunction, I snapped my picture and bent over to get my dime! It is now resting comfortably in my shirt pocket in the walk-in bathroom closet, because I forgot to take it out when I got home. It will soon be resting comfortably atop the penny pile in my new, Hick-provided penny goblet on the kitchen counter.
_____________________________________________________________________

Now...for all you antidecapennyites...here's what I found on the side porch when I left for town.


I guess maybe Hick is going to stock this shelf with snacks so burglars can come up on the porch, grab a tasty treat, and then leave our homestead alone. I don't know the purpose. That chair beside it is one of a pair Hick picked up at the end of somebody's driveway about three years ago. I know I put their picture here before. They haven't moved. They have accumulated a layer of cat hair. The cats find them to be a restful napping spot.

Anyhoo...that's a Planters Munch 'n' Go rack. You can't see him very well above, but that's Mr. Peanut running for his life. Or munching and going.


Hick has three more days a week now to buy junk peruse resale shops for collectibles. Maybe he can find me a matching goblet for my dimes.

14 comments:

  1. I watch "Pickers" and that Planters thing is probably worth big cash!

    I hope I don't someday hear of Val fishing pennies out of a storm sewer with a line and gum, laughing like Renfield (crazy man in Dracula) mumbling "Pennies...Pennies..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick says he paid $15 for it. That he looked it up on eBay, and only saw two. One went for $85, and the other for $125. According to Hick, of course.

      Dracula scared the bejeebers out of me! Just reading the original classic. That part about crawling on the outside of the castle wall made the hair on my neck stand up.

      Delete
  2. Val--When your tours officially begin (when will that be?) this snack shelving unit will come in handy. You could even make Chex Mix, put it in little baggies, and display it on that shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I could put the leavings from the bottom of Hick's Chex Mix tub in separate baggies, and label them as a "special blend" and charge more for them!

      We haven't set a grand opening date yet!

      Delete
  3. That Munch and Go Snack rack is really pretty cool, at the rate you are going it will come in handy to store all of your coins, what's next quarters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Putting it out there to The Universe now: Val is open to quarters.

      Delete
  4. Quarters? Did I hear quarters? I'd bend over for a quarter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, we reveal too much information in our comments...

      Delete
  5. Don't hold your breath waiting for a matching goblet, but a similar one might get found. Having a giggle at you holding your ground instead of moving over. I've had customers do that when they're in my line because they preferred me over any other checker. Mostly older people, because I always treated them the way I would like to be treated when I get old. An ear for listening, a smile to cheer and packing their groceries carefully.
    That stand looks mighty useful, a pot plant or two, snacks, a stack of books and you could sit there all afternoon as long as someone brought out drinks on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that grandma lady only had ONE goblet like that.

      I often stay in a longer line if I like the checker. Some are just so sunny and cheerful...I think they counteract my negativity! Even Steven, you know.

      That stand might stay on the porch for a couple of years, so I suppose I should start making plans around it.

      Delete
  6. I'm thinking that American Pickers is putting you on their list of places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick would LOVE a visit from them, but I doubt that he could part with any of his treasures.

      The Pickers were actually about 45 minutes away from here a year or two ago. It was in the paper.

      Delete
  7. I have been told to call the Pickers for the Barn (aka Fred Sanford's Emporium). He who has said that we should just leave all the contents for the new owners when we sell the place. Who knows, could be a selling point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will beware if Hick tells me he's interested in buying a campground. That would be a definite selling point for him!

      Delete